- see all comments
"Absolutely gorgeous looking. Wow amazing!"
50 Cheap Date Night Ideas for Thrifty Couples
Date night doesn't have to be dinner and a movie!
We are adding the stuff to your Stuff.
The project was added to your List.
Click here to view your Stuff.
Dates don't have to break the bank! These cheap date night ideas will ensure you won't have to do dinner and a movie every time you and your significant other spend time together. Whether you are outdoor enthusiasts or want to stay indoors, there are a variety of cheap romantic date ideas perfect for you. You can learn a new hobby together or spend time looking at the night sky. The possibilities are endless with these 50 cheap date ideas that will bring you and your partner closer together. Try one of these fun ideas on your next date night and rekindle your first date romance!
Free Outdoor Date Activities
If you and your significant other love spending time in the great outdoors, these date night ideas are for you! Whether you are avid adventurers or just like taking a stroll to enjoy the scenery, you'll find a free date night activity that will fit your lifestyle. Try venturing outside of your comfort zone with these great outdoor date ideas.
- Take a Walk or Go for a Hike - It can be a summer stroll in the park or a climb up a local mountain!
- Have a Picnic - Make sure to be equipped with a DIY picnic blanket!
- Take a Scenic Drive - Night drives with the windows down and music blaring are ideal!
- Have a Photoshoot - You don't have to be a professional photographer to take great photos!
- Visit a Botanical Garden - Enjoy the bounty of nature while learning a thing or two!
- Go to the Beach - Relax in the water or enjoy the warmth of the sun in the sand!
- Go Stargazing - Brush up on your constellations with this late-night date!
- Go to the Apple Orchard - Make sure to have a cup of warm cider and some donuts while you're there!
- Go Camping - State park permits are inexpensive or you can camp for free in your backyard!
- Be a Tourist in Your City - Walk around your city and see the famous sites!
- Go to the Playground - Swingsets aren't just for the kids!
- Go for a Bike Ride - Tandem bikes work too!
- Go Swimming - Many community pools have adult only nights!
- Hammock - Swing from the trees and enjoy the breeze!
- Canoe or Kayak - Paddle together or row side-by-side!
- Geocaching - Go treasure hunting in your own neighborhood!
Traveling within the United States is one of the best ways to get away on a dime. There are plenty of stunning landscapes and bustling cities to explore in your own backyard that will not break the bank. Cheap Places to Travel in the US: 20 Off-Season Steals
Free At-Home Date Ideas
Who says you have to go anywhere to enjoy a great date? You already have all of the items necessary for a spontaneous night in! Whether you are game night greats or the next Chopped champions, you'll love these fun indoor activities.
- Work on a Puzzle - See who can put the most pieces together!
- Color or Paint Together - Try painting each other!
- Play a Game Together - There are plenty of two-player games that are perfect for date night!
- Binge Watch TV/ Movie Marathon - Spend your night cuddled up on the couch with your new favorite Netflix show!
- Cook or Bake Together - Try a new recipe and see if you can make it taste amazing!
- DIY Together - Create some fun projects for the house!
- Book Club for Two - Read a chapter separately and then discuss it together!
- Spa Night for Two - Pamper each other with massages!
- Pretend There’s a Blackout - Turn off all the lights and tell stories by candlelight!
Free Date Nights Out
You don't have to spend money for a night on the town! These activities get you out of the house without costing you a fortune... or anything at all.
- Drive Down Memory Lane - Drive by all the locations of your past dates!
- Go Thrifting Together - Tell stories about antiques and find fun items for your home!
- Play Tennis - Most parks have a few free courts!
- Go to the Gym - You'll be going there anyway; why not go together?
- Volunteer Together - Serve at a soup kitchen or help out at an animal shelter!
- Sing Karaoke - Many bars have karaoke nights where you and your significant other can duet together!
- Attend a Book or Poetry Reading - Find an author who's sharing a new selection in your area!
- Go to Trivia - Bar trivia is a great way to impress your S.O. with your breadth of knowledge!
- People Watch - Sit in a populated area and tell stories about those who walk by!
- Go to the Farmer’s Market - Pick up some fresh produce and stroll through the open market!
The best season to get married all depends on your ideal wedding and budget, so think about what's important to you for your special day. Make your dream wedding come true on a budget that is perfect for you! What's the Best Season to Get Married on a Budget?
Dates Under $20
Spending money on a date doesn't have to mean dinner and a movie. If you're looking to spend a little on someone special, try one of these date ideas that will cost you less than $20. Some of these activities can also be free depending on your area or the time of the week that you go.
- Go Bowling - This date is sure to be a strike!
- Go to a Cheap Sporting Event - Root, root, root for the home team!
- Find a Carnival - Walk around the midway and end the night on the Ferris wheel!
- Drive-in Movie - Drive-ins are normally cheaper than a standard theater and much more intimate!
- Go to the Zoo or Aquarium - Find off-days that save you money!
- Go Mini Golfing - A little friendly competition is good... just don't think about how the course was designed for children.
- Go to a Museum - Many museums offer free or discounted days so you can take in culture!
- Get Coffee or Dessert Instead of Dinner - Make the dinner at home and opt for another course out!
- Go Dancing - Swing dancing and ballroom dancing classes will make you and your partner closer!
- Go to the Arcade - Grab a roll of quarters and relive your childhood!
- Go to an Improv or Comedy Show - Have a few laughs at the local comedy club!
- Go to a Community Play - High school and college performances are often discounted or really cheap!
- Go Skating - Whether on ice skates or rollerblades, it's fun to hold hands while taking laps around the rink!
- Attend an Orchestra Concert - Add sophistication to your next outing!
- Attend Happy Hour - Half-off drinks and appetizers make an inexpensive meal!
What's your favorite inexpensive date night idea? Let us know in the comments!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Aug 29, 2018
My husband and I always struggle to think of fun date ideas that don't involve going out to dinner or spending too much money. When I look back on some of our favorite memories, though, it is usually things like apple picking, wandering around a city, or having picnics that really stand out. Thanks for these fun and thrifty ideas!
Aug 10, 2018
My boyfriend is very outgoing and loves the outdoors so most of our dates are often hikes or road trips out of town. We visit parks and scenic museums, take lots of photos and enjoy ourselves. A classic dinner and a movie once in a while is great but getting into a hobby or activity together is super fun and a great bonding experience.
Jul 25, 2018
This is a great list of activities which a husband and wife can participate without spending too much money. My husband and I love to go bowling.
Jul 19, 2018
These are great. I'm a big fan of mini golfing. It's such a fun way to get out, unwind, and participate in an activity that's casual yet exciting.
Jul 05, 2018
My husband and I are always looking for unique date night ideas that won't break the bank. I love the idea of going to a drive-in movie. So classic!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
Fall Plaid DIY Blanket Scarf
Fall is just around the corner, which means that it's almost time to break out your favorite fall scarves! Stay on trend this season… Continue reading: "Fall Plaid DIY Blanket Scarf"
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite stuff
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your stuff
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- 14 Fels Naptha Soap Uses
- Free Printable Pig Coloring Pages
- Easy Rosemary Gin Fizz Recipe
- Fourth Of July Jokes For Kids
- Summer Jokes For Kids Plus Free Printable
- Free Printable Octopus Coloring Pages
- Easy Berry Slab Pie
- Best Cheeseburger Sliders With Hawaiian Rolls
- Free Printable Father’s Day Coloring Pages
- Delicious Steakhouse Philly Sandwich