How to Recycle CDs
What you should do with the collection of discs in your basement
We are adding the stuff to your Stuff.
The project was added to your List.
Do you have a collection of CDs from your glory days to which you never listen anymore? This guide will teach you how to recycle CDs and DVDs, so you can clear your clutter of boy band and rock and roll memorabilia.
Make the environmentally-conscious choice to recycle your CDs to save them for the landfill. Learn where to recycle CDs and the answers to all of your questions of what to do with all of your collection from AC/DC to ZZ Top. While CDs are recyclable, you may be surprised to find that recycling them is not as easy as dropping them in a green bin.
While it is legal to throw away CDs and DVDs, this guide will teach you how to recycle your discs so you can make the most sustainable decision!
Can I Recycle CDs in My Home Recycling?
CDs are recyclable, and while you might be tempted to drop them in your plastic green bins for pick-up, your local facility likely can't process them. CDs are made of two types of plastic (#6 and #7) that are very difficult to recycle?
Where Do I Recycle CDs?
Even though you can't recycle CDs and DVDs at home, they can still be recycled. Specialty programs like the CD Recycling Center of America and GreenDisk allow you to mail CDs to be processed for recycling. You will have to pay for shipping or a small fee for your discs to be recycled. Depending on where you live, there could be local places that will collect CDs and DVDs for recycling. Earth911 includes a locator tool of collection sites for various materials.
What Are Other Options for My CDs?
There are other options for keeping CDs out of landfills besides recycling.
- Sell Locally. You can sell CDs and DVDs to local used bookstores or game stores. You might not make top dollar, but you'll earn some cash and clear space in your home.
- Sell Online. If you have a collectible item or high-value collection, you can sell CDs on eBay for quick cash. If your collection is less desirable, you can sell CDs at Decluttr and earn an average of $0.50 a CD.
- Donate. You can always donate CDs to places like Goodwill or the Salvation Army. This gives your discs a second life and helps a charity.
DIY CD Projects
On a recycling kick? Learn more:
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Project of the Day
Add a ton more storage space to your little bathroom with this Hanging Baskets Bathroom Organization. This DIY home tutorial shows you… Continue reading: "Hanging Baskets Bathroom Organization"
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Free Printable Halloween Word Scramble For Kids
- How To Make Apple Cider Vinegar From Scratch
- Salsa Chicken
- Blueberry Lemon Cake
- Printable Thanksgiving Cards
- Cookies And Cream Ice Cream
- Kitchen Conversion Chart That Makes Cooking Easier
- Backsplash Make Over
- Rust Pumpkin Decor
- Wood Veneer DIY Pumpkin